Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Wise West Indies Salad

Another thing I brought back with me from the beach was some jumbo lump crab. West Indies Salad may be the Hubs favorite thing to eat. Traditional West Indies Salad has very few ingredients, but I like to spice it up a bit. Either way, it is so delicious. If you have never had it and enjoy crab, you have been missing something absolutely amazing! Now I know crab can be expensive so this isn't a recipe I make very often. Only when Hubs (or myself) deserves a treat.

What's even better, it is naturally gluten free and dairy free. Those are my favorite type of recipes. Where you don't have to use a substitute for a recipe, but just enjoy it just like everyone else does. You're welcome :)

It really is a super easy recipe. Just keep in mind it has to sit overnight for all the the yummy flavors to marry. Serve the salad over a bed of lettuce for a great luncheon or serve with your favorite crackers for an incredible appetizer. Here is my take on West Indies Salad.

Wise West Indies Salad 
GF/DF 
printable recipe here


Ingredients:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 T water 
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion owder
1 t oregano 
1/4 t black pepper
1 t dried parsley
1/4 t dried basil
1/4 t salt
1 t agave nectar
1 medium yellow onion
1 pound fresh jumbo lump crab meat

What to do:

First step when you are making anything with jumbo lump crab is to always make sure you remove all the shells. I pick through the entire container with my fingers because there are always some in there.

Finely dice your onion. I find the easiest way to do this is use a mini food processor, but my hand always works.

In a large bowl, add in all of your ingredients except for your onion and carb meat.

Whisk everything together.

Add in your diced onion and give it a stir.

Add your shell less crab meat into the onion mixture.

Stir it all together.

Add in a handful of ice cubes. I added in about 6.

Stir the ice into the mixture.

Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors come together.


You can eat west indies salad just as is, or on abed of lettuce, or with your favorite gluten free crackers.


Happy Eating!

-Thanks Y'all
Wise Wife

1 comment:

  1. Making this wonderful meal right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete