Thursday, March 13, 2014

Naan turned into Pizza!!

A few years ago, I traveled to India for 2 weeks with a friend of mine (here is her blog, she is amazing!). While we were there, we were served naan with ever meal. It is there version of dinner bread. Well, I fell in LOVE with naan and have made it many many times since my arrival back home. I have come up with a SUPER SUPER easy version of nann that of course is dairy free and gluten free.  This is my go to bread when I need something fast.

It occurred to me that I have lots of dairy free pesto in my fridge that I need to use up so I can make room for canning more over the summer. If you haven't seen that post, check it out! Dairy Free Pesto

So what do you get when you add pesto and naan? Pizza of course! ha well sort of anyway. My version of healthy pizza is what you really get. If you are one of the lucky ones that can eat cheese, by all means please go ahead and indulge while I sit back and remain insanely jealous. I will start off with the recipe for nann and then show you how to make pizza from there. This is so easy I am almost embarrassed to call it a naan recipe. Enjoy!


Naan
GF/DF


ingredients:
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup almond flour
pinch of salt
2 T coconut milk
coconut oil for pan frying

Mix your tapioca flour, among flour, and salt together in a bowl.


Grab your can of coconut milk and give it good ole shake to make sure the fat is evenly distributed. Then add your coconut milk into the flour mixture.


Heat non stick skillet over medium low heat. (I like to use cast iron) Add in your coconut oil and allow to melt.

Pour a small amount of your batter into your skillet (about the size of a pancake) I pour in larger amounts because I wanted to make my naan into a pizza. 


Allow to cook until little bubbles start to appear and the bread firms up a bit.


Flip the naan and allow to cook for about 7 minutes or so. You have to have some major patience in this because it takes longer than you expect. 


Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.

If you are just serving your naan as bread, grab a piece and enjoy. If you want to make the pizza, see the recipe below.

helpful hint: if you are making naan for pizza bread, pour 1/2 of the batter at a time to create larger pieces of naan and increase your cooking time. 

Naan Pizza
GF/DF

Ingredients:

1 batch cooked naan
4 medium sweet onions
1/4 cup butter substitute
fresh proscuitto
1/4 cup arugula 
4 oz DF pesto, store bought or homemade (here is my recipe)

First we have to caramelize our onions (my favorite part of this pizza). Thinly slice your onions either by hand, or cheat and use a mandolin. 

Head your butter over medium heat in a medium sauté pan.


Add in your onions. I know this looks like a TON of onions, but I promise the cook way down. 






Cook over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring every few minutes. They will first begin to look creamy.

Next, the onions will start to brown. Don't be alarmed, that is supposed to happen, you just don't want them to burn.



Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat your oven to 425°

Place your naan on top of a parchment covered baking sheet

Add your pesto onto the naan.

Add a layer of your caramelized onions.

Add a layer of your proscuitto. I just rip it apart with my fingers.

Add your arugula.

Bake for about 10 minutes or until the proscuitto becomes a little crispy and the pizza is heated through. You may see the olive oil from the pesto start to bubble.


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 





No comments:

Post a Comment