Monday, September 16, 2013

Not Your Lunchroom Meatloaf...

I know what you are thinking. You see the word meatloaf and you immediately think of that nasty stuff that was served in your lunchroom as a kid. This is NOTHING like that! This is tasty, moist, and healthy!! I was digging in my freezer this morning and realized just how much pesto I have stored up. If I don't use it, what's the point in storing it? I wasn't feeling pasta, so I thought.. well lets try a pesto meatloaf. It was AWESOME! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!


Dairy Free, Gluten Free Pesto Turkey Meatloaf


Ingredients:

1 pound ground turkey 
1/4 Cup gluten free bread crumbs
1 egg
3 stalks celery (green party only)
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 T GF Italian seasoning 
1/4 t pepper 
1 cup dairy free pesto (see pesto post)
1 jar store bought or homemade marinara 

helpful hint: If you aren't concerned with dairy free, you can add 1/2 cup grated parmesan to the loaf and use regular pesto. 

Preheat oven to 350°

Dice your  celery, onion, and garlic. In meatloaf, I like my veggies to be chopped very finely, so I toss them in the mini food processor. You can of course chop them by hand.




Add all ingredients into large mixing bowl. Only add in 1/2 cup of the pesto.

Mix until combined


Place mixture into loaf pan. No need to grease it as olive oil will render from the loaf and help to keep the loaf from sticking.


Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with remaining 1/2 cup pesto. (again if you aren't concerned with dairy, your can add 1/2 cup parmesan on top as well)

Bake for 20 additional minutes. 

Heat your marinara for just a few minutes over the stovetop.

Top each slice with marinara and enjoy! I didn't have time to whip any up, so I went with store bought. Just be sure to check for allergies! Little secret, my husband topped his with parmesan cheese here :)


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife


No comments:

Post a Comment