Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Happy Halloween!!

Yeah, Yeah. I know it is only september but I just couldn't help myself. Both my best friend and sister-in-law absolutely LOVE Halloween so this post is in honor of them! I was on Pinterest the other day and I saw an idea I just had to try! It was a halloween wreath from The Lion Brand Yarn blog. 

I followed their tutorial to get started and then of course I had to add my touch :) So here we go! A DIY Halloween wreath!!



Supplies:


2 packages of black fun fur
glue
styrofoam wreath (any size)
1 package cheesecloth
styrofoam balls (I used 2 1/2 inch)
small screw eyes
black paint
paint brush
fishing line
styrofoam cones (I used 3 x 2)
yellow, orange, and white yarn
permanent marker 
ribbon of your choice to hang the wreath 

Okay lets start with the base of the wreath. Carefully wrap your styrofoam wreath with the black fun fur, making sure there is no space between each string. While wrapping this I found myself singing the theme from Finding Nemo only I changed the words a bit.. Just keep wrapping, just keep wrapping... 


If a strand ends, simply tie it together with a new strand. 

Once you completely wrap the wreath, glue the final end down.

It should end up looking like this

Now we start with the candy corns! Slice your styrofoam cones in half. 

Using your permanent marker, portion your cone half in thirds.

Wrap the sections with yellow on the bottom, orange in the middle, and white on the top. Glue your final ends down and let dry completely.




Okay this is where my creative juices took over! I thought...what is a halloween wreath without a ghost?? So here does nothing. Paint two eyes on your styrofoam balls. Let dry completely.


Once dry, add a drop of glue to the screw, and screw into the top of the ball.


Lay your cheese cloth out in a large 2 ply rectangle

Place your styrofoam ball painted with eyes in them middle of the cheesecloth and fold the cloth over the ball in half.


Gather the cheese cloth in your hand. Trim the bottom at a jagged edge to desired length.

Thread your fishing line through the screw eye and wrap around the wreath and tie in knot. This will secure your ghost in position, so make sure your tie it where you want your ghost to hang.

Voila.. you have floating ghosts!

Once your candy corns are dry, cover the back side with glue and place firmly onto your wreath.


Now you are ready for Halloween!!! Hope you have a fun one this year!!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I recently made a black tulle wreath going for a similar look but I like this much better. Found you on Instagram. I'm gluten free as well!

    ReplyDelete