Monday, June 16, 2014

Watermelon & Cucumber Salad

Summer season means watermelon is always in my fridge. It has just the right amount of sweetness and is a great low calorie snack full of vitamins A and D.

When hubs was growing up, his mom would always make melon balls and keep them in the fridge. I know, my mother-in-law is amazing!! I have picked up this trait from her and Hubs is quite happy. 

Turing watermelon into bite sized balls is just the perfect healthy, pop in your mouth, snack. Melon balls are so easy to make and can also be made from honeydew and cantaloupe!!

Okay, to make watermelon balls, you will need a melon baller like this one here. 

Go ahead and slice your melon in half. I chose to use a seedless watermelon which I would highly recommend. If you are balling cantaloupe or honeydew, be sure to remove the seeds. 

Press your melon baller into your fruit and spin the baller around completely. Just like magic, its a melon ball! 

Then you are left with this. Don't worry, I had myself a snack by eating a few bites of the leftover insides.

Now of course, I had to create a salad with some of my melon balls. That recipe is below!


Watermelon and Cucumber Salad
naturally GF/DF

Ingredients:

3 cups fresh watermelon balls (or bite size pieces)
1 cucumber
2 green onions
2 T fresh basil
2 T lemon juice
1 T olive oil
1 T agave nectar (or honey)
1/4 t salt
dash of ground white pepper 

What to do:

Peel your cucumber. I like to leave some of the peel for the color and it just makes it look fancy! :) 

Slice your cucumber in half, lengthwise.

Line your halves up and slice in 1/4 inch slices.

Chop your basil.

Chop your green onions. Only use the white and light green parts for this recipe. You want that strong onion flavor because it mixes so well with the sweetness of the watermelon. 


Place watermelon, cucumber, green onions, and basil in a medium bowl. Stir together.


In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, agave nectar, salt, and white pepper.


Right before serving, pour the olive oil dressing over the watermelon and give it a toss. 


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife


No comments:

Post a Comment