Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Three Bean Skillet Casserole

On days when I am working late, I am always looking for a quick meal that is outside of the box. I just get tired of the usual go to's night after night. This recipe is pretty much straight from my pantry. I keep my pantry pretty well stocked for late nights like this one.

Only thing I had to grab was a pound of ground beef because I realized I was out. This is one of those throw together, last minute meals. I always keep fresh lettuce in the fridge, so I added a side salad and dinner was served! 

I am sure you have had a three bean casserole at a church function or a pot luck dinner. That is where this idea started, but where it ended up was a little different than your typical three bean salad. I used canned beans for this recipe to save time. If you are planning ahead, dried beans soaked in water overnight are always a little bit healthier option. 

Three Bean Skillet Casserole
naturally GF/DF

Ingredients:

1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can kidney beans
1/2 sweet onion
1 garlic clove
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T yellow mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 t cumin
1/4 cup water
1 T balsamic vinegar

What to do:

Drain and rinse all three cans of beans. Rinse well to ensure any excess sodium is removed. Set aside.




Chop your onion.

Mince your garlic.

Add the brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper, cumin, water, and balsamic vinegar to a medium bowl.

Whisk together and set aside.

Add your ground beef to a large skillet and begin to brown over medium heat.

When about half done, add in your chopped onion and garlic. 


Continue to brown until the onions begin to soften and the meat is done. Drain excess fat. 

Add your beans and brown sugar mixture to the skillet.


Mix together and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring frequently. 


That's it!! Hope you like my last minute three bean skillet.

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment