Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Homemade Nut Bars

I don't know about y'all, but I love the convenience of pre-made protein/energy/nut bars. Problem is, they can get expensive and often have ingredients that I am not too fond of. So how do I solve that problem? I make my own of course! I know what you are thinking, I could never make my own protein bars. I am here to show you, EVERYONE can make them! These bars will give you lasting energy for the morning and keep you full until lunch.

By combining almonds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds together, these bars are full of protein, omega-3 essential fatty acids, fiber, calcium, antioxidants, and vitamins. What else could you want? 

I can't officially call these gluten free, because I couldn't be sure the sunflower seeds didn't have cross contamination with gluten. Want to make those breakfast/snack bars? Lets get cooking!

Homemade Nut Bars
naturally DF

Ingredients:

1 cup almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 T flaxseeds
2 T honey
1/8 t salt 

What to do:

Roughly chop your almonds.

In a large bowl, combine almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, flaxseeds, and salt.

Stir together.

Melt your honey in a small saucepan over medium heat.

Once the honey begins to bubble, remove from heat and add in your nut mixture.

Stir everything together to map sure the honey evenly covers all of the nuts.

Pour into a small, greased baking dish. I like mine a little thicker so I use a pretty small baking dish. If you would rather thinner bars, use a larger dish. 

Using your fingers, press the mixture into the dish.

Allow to cool completely. Cut your bars into even pieces.


Store in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment