Monday, June 23, 2014

Easy Barbecue Sauce

What says summer more than the flavors of BBQ? This weekend was the official start of summer and we took full advantage! I spent the weekend poolside with my girlfriends while Hubs played in a golf tournament. 

I am going to be super honest here, I do not always make my own barbecue sauce. I just don't always have the time or patience, and well, store bought can also be quite delicious! However, this time I made the time to make my own. Hubs prefers a more Kansas style barbecue sauce versus a Memphis style. Me being from Memphis, I prefer that thick, molasses style BBQ sauce but have grown to also enjoy the vinegar based Kansas City style. 

This version is somewhere in the middle. It has a base of vinegar but I also throw in some brown sugar to even out with a little sweetness. This sauce can be served with pork, chicken, or even shrimp. Don't you love sauces that are multi functional? 

Lets make some sauce! Printable recipe here!!

Easy BBQ Sauce 
naturally GF/DF

Ingredients:

3 T canola oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 t chili powder
1 1/2 t liquid smoke

What to do:

 Heat canola over medium heat in a medium sized sauce pan.

Add in your diced onion.

Saute for 10 minutes until the onions are golden brown and translucent.

Add in remaining ingredients.

Stir and bring to a boil.


Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 45 minutes. The mixture will thick a bit.


Remove from the heat and allow it to cool completely.

Once cooled, transfer sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.


Store in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week. Once again, I chose to use a mason jar. 

Hubs grilled some herb chicken that I served with my BBQ sauce.

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment