Monday, February 24, 2014

Pinwheel Flank Steak

I Can't believe it is Monday again. Where did this weekend go? We had beautiful weather and enjoyed lots of time outside. I did talk, uhmm force, my husband into hanging a few things on the walls. I have been quite indecisive when it comes to wall decorations. Before we moved in we repainted all the walls and repaired any holes, so I am super cautious when voluntarily adding nail holes to our freshly fixed walls. Once the house is sam pulled together I will share some before and afters. Oh what a difference paint can make!! Anyway, back to dinner.

I was going to be nice and take care of all of the cooking, by Hubs wouldn't have it. He said, I ALWAYS grill on Sunday; he was right. He usually mans the grill on Sunday evenings since he knows I will be doing most of the cooking throughout the week. I love that the is so willing to help out in the Kitchen. Hubs works long hours during the week and usually does something related to hunting on Saturdays, so Sunday is our day. I look forward to Sundays every week.

Tonights meal, Hubs said either steak or chicken. I decided on flank steak and decided to do a pinwheel style dish. I have done this several times before and each time I stuff the steak with different ingredients. This time I kept it easy.  Hope you are hungry!

Pinwheel Flank Steak
GF, DF 

click here for printable recipe 

Ingredients:


1 1/2 pound flank steak 
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup GF soy sauce
3 T worcestershire sauce
1 t salt
1 1/2 t pepper 
1/2 t garlic powder
1 bell pepper
1/2  red onion
1 T capers
2 T GF bread crumbs
2 T olive oil 
cooking twine

What to do:

First we have to pound out your meat so that is easier to roll.

Simply place your flank steak on a large cutting board and cover with plastic wrap or wax paper. Using a meat hammer or rolling pin pound the meat until it is about 1/4 of an inch thick.


Place your meat in a large baking dish.

Pour your olive oil, balsamic, soy sauce, and worcestershire over the meat. Sprinkle your salt, pepper, and garlic order over the meat.



Using a spoon, mix your ingredients around and drizzle over the meat. Allow the meat the marinate for 20-30 minutes.

While your meat is marinating, prepare your filling. Finely dice your onion and bell pepper.



Add your bell pepper, onion, bread crumbs, olive oil, and capers together in a medium bowl. 

Mix to combine.

Now back to the steak. Remove your steak from your marinade and place back on your cutting board.

Evenly spread your onion mixture over your flank steak, leaving a little space around the edge.



Before you get started, cut 4, 15-18 inch pieces of cooking twine and set aside. 

This is a little tricky. You must make sure you roll the flank steak with the grain, so the lines are horizontal as your roll.  Here is a picture after it has been rolled so you can see the lines up close.





Once you roll the entire flank steak, grab your cooking twine. Wrap the twine around the meat and tie in a knot, trimming the excess twine. I like to start with the ends and then tie the two in the middle. I usually get a little help with the Hubs on this step. I usually hold the meat together and he does the tying. 


Place your meat back in your dish that you marinated it in until you are ready to grill.

Grill at 375° for 45 minutes.

Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. I used that tiny piece of tin foil I had to cover the meat.


Cut the twine, and slice the meat in about 1/2 inch think slices. 











No comments:

Post a Comment