Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Millet Edamame Salad

I was perusing the gluten free area at the grocery store the other day and came across millet. I honestly had never heard of it so of course I began researching. I came across LOTS of health benefits and is linked to helping migraines, lower risk of heart disease, asthma, and even reducing high blood pressure.  I think I am going to like this stuff. Apparently it is one of the main ingredients in bird seed but is a stable in places such as Asia. So funny story, the Hubs just walked in and asked what I was doing. He saw the bag of millet on the counter and says, hey, that's what doves eat. I just had to laugh because I had just finished typing the previous sentence about bird seed. 

Anyway, on to today's post. I figured it resembled the texture of couscous so I made an edamame salad with it. This will be be go to grain from now on!! This recipe made lots of extras, so I stuck it in the fridge for lunch the next day :)  Hope y'all enjoy!!

Millet Edamame Salad
GF, DF

printable recipe here 

 Ingredients:

1 cup millet
2 cups GF stock, (I used chicken)
1 cup frozen edamame
1/2 red onion
1 cup mini portobella mushrooms
1 t garlic powder
dash salt and pepper
1 1/2 T balsamic
1 T butter substitute
Bring your stock to boil over medium heat.

Stir in your millet and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over medium low until the stock is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

 
While your millet is cooking, dice your onion.

Bring 1 T olive oil over medium heat.

Add in your onions and sauté until slightly translucent.

Add in your mushrooms and edamame.

Give it a good stir and sauté for an additional 7 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add in your garlic powder, salt, pepper, and balsamic and stir to combine.

Once your millet is completely cooked and all the stock is absorbed, add it straight into the edamame mixture. Add in your butter substitute and stir everything together.


helpful hint: if you cook the millet over high heat, the stock will absorb but the millet will not be completely done. Just add in additional stock and continue cooking. 



That's it!!
Thanks Y'all
-Wise Wife


No comments:

Post a Comment