Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Black Bean Turkey Chili

This week has been absolutely nuts because I have been on jury duty. The waiting around part is not so fun, but I have actually enjoyed the whole process. I never know how long I will be at the courthouse, so I have to create meals on the fly. I ran by the grocery on the way home and grabbed a few ingredients to make a quick black bean chili. It is pretty cold outside today so I knew I wanted a meal that would warm us up. However, bathing suit season is getting closer and closer so I wanted a skinny meal for sure. This is a quick cooking chili that is super convenient. Here you go!

Black Bean Turkey Chili
GF, DF


Ingredients:

2 medium white onions
1 pound ground lean turkey
2 T sauté oil of your choice, I used EVOO
8 oz baby bella mushrooms
1 16 oz jar GF salsa (Pace is gluten free)
3 cans low sodium black beans
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes 
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 t chili powder
1 t cumin
dash of salt and pepper
cilantro
chopped green onions for garnish

What to do:

Dice your onion.

Add your oil to a large dutch oven.

Heat over medium heat. Add in your diced onions and sauté for 2 minutes.

Toss in your mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. The mushrooms should start to soften and the mixture should become fragrant


Add in your ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. 


While your turkey is cooking, drain and rinse your black beans and chop your cilantro.



Add the salsa, crushed tomatoes, and black beans into your pot and stir to combine.


Add in your vegetable broth, cumin, and chili powder. Stir to combine.

Add in your chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper; cover and bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes to let the flavors marry. 




Top with your chipped green onions and enjoy your black bean chili!!



Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment