Friday, February 28, 2014

"Creamy" Scalloped Potatoes

HAPPY FRIDAY!! Well, congrats. You made it though the work week. In just a few short hours it will officially be the weekend and you won't clock back in until Monday morning. (well if you aren't me anyway) haha I will be working this Saturday, but at least I love my job! Oh and one of my sisters-in-law is in town so I get to spend a little time with her! Welcome home Big Al!

Okay back to the food. I know scalloped potatoes take you back to your childhood and comfort food, but I have created a lighter version. These aren't super heavy or terrible for you either. I bet you could even substitute sweet potatoes in this recipe, however Hubs said I shouldn't do that :). Yes these are "creamy" but without all of the added fat from heavy cream that is traditionally in scalloped potatoes. Hope you like them!

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
GF, DF 

Ingredients:


1 white onion
1 1/2 T butter substitute 
1 pound red new potatoes 
1/4 cup almond flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
green onions (optional)
salt and pepper 

Dice your onion

Melt butter in large skillet over medium low heat.

Add in your diced onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.

While your onions are cooking, slice your potatoes in about 1/4 inch thick slices.


Stir your almond flour into the pan with the onions and stir constantly for about 2 minutes.


Pour in chicken broth and continualy stir for abut 4 minutes until the mixture thickens. Scrapping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.

Stir in your nutritional yeast and continue cooking for another minute and then remove from heat.


Spread a small amount of butter on the bottom and sides of your baking dish to prevent the potatoes from sticking.

Layer 1/3 of your potatoes, slightly overlapping.

Pour 1/3 of your onion mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each layer.

Continue this process twice more, ending with your onion mixture. 

Cover with tin foil and bake at 375° for one hour. Of course right when I go to cover my potatoes I ran out of tin foil.. so at least it is mostly covered.

Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes You may have to bake additional, depending on how thick you sliced your potatoes.

Top with green onions and dig in! (oops I forgot ha)

If you want a little extra, you can always at a dollop of GF, DF sour cream!


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment