Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sausage and Potato Stoup for you Non Cooks!

I feel like it has rained everyday this summer, but yesterday was exceptionally rainy and cloudy and gloomy. Those days always make me a bit lazy, including in the kitchen. When I started trying to figure out what to do for supper, I immediately went to the crock pot. If you don't own one GET ONE! If you are just venturing into the world of cooking, this is a great place to start and an inexpensive kitchen gadget that is a must have. It is super easy and always turns out yummy! I don't use a fancy one, I use the simple, non digital, same ole one I got in college. They last forever!



You can really put anything in a crockpot. Just pick your favorite meat, veggies, and can of soup and voila a meal! 

Helpful hint: Oh and the 2nd best invention since the Crock-Pot, Crock-pot Liners!! 



Now that these are a part of my kitchen, the worst part about using the crock-pot, CLEANING, is now SO EASY! All you do is pull out the bag when you're ready to clean. Yup thats it! 



Here is a quick easy crock pot stew/soup, I call it a "stoup."

Turkey Sausage Stoup 




Yup its gluten free and dairy free!

Ingredients: 


1 can organic diced tomatoes 
1 can organic kidney beans 
1 lb new potatoes 
1 cup mini carrots
1/2 medium onion 
3 cloves garlic
4 cups gluten free chicken broth
2 T extra virgin olive oil 
1 T Italian seasoning 
1/2 T salt
1 T Pepper
1 1/2 c gluten free sausage (I used chicken sausage)



Your first step should be to line your crockpot with your liner if you are using one.


Add in your potatoes


Dice your onions, mince your garlic, and add into the crockpot. 


Drain and rinse your beans and add to crock pot. Also add in your carrots, chicken broth, olive oil, italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.

At this point, I ended up throwing in some ground venison because I was trying to clean out the freezer. You could use ground beef or turkey if you aren't married to a hunter that brings home LOTS of meat throughout hunting season... 


Stir to combine, cover with top, and cook on high for 4-5 hours stirring periodically. 


Because the sausage I used was fully cooked, about 30-45 minutes before serving the stoup, I sliced up the sausage and added it to the crockpot. If you buy raw sausage, you can put the sausage in when you add all the other ingredients and cook for 4-5 hours.

Enjoy!
Thanks Y'all
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment