Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dairy Free Chicken Salad IS possible!



I am not a mayonnaise fan, but my entire in-law family is. Now when I say they are fans, it is more like an obsession. They eat it on butter beans, tomatoes, sandwiches, chicken, anything they can think of.  I have been on a quest to find a mayonnaise substitute that would satisfy the taste buds of my new family, my dietary restrictions, and also my health conscious ways. I have hit jackpot with Earth Balance mindful mayo! It is vegan, soy free, gluten free, free of preservatives and Non GMO. Thank you Earth Balance!! 

I use it in chicken salad and all sorts of dips that would normally call for mayonnaise.  I have yet to switch my Hubs from Hellmann's (I don't think that will ever happen) but if I am making the dish, I will be using Earth Balance mindful mayo. 


Here is my recipe for chicken salad using this WONDERFUL product. 

Dairy Free Chicken Salad 


This recipe is so good, my dog wishes he could have some!




Ingredients:


4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken breasts
1/2 cup celery 
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 cup sliced red, seedless grapes
1 cup diced sweet onion (I used Vidalia) 
1 cup Almond Cream (recipe below) 
1 cup mindful mayo
1/2 T lemon juice
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t Salt

Begin by cooking your chicken breast. Place chicken in a pot of water and bring to a boil.

Once the water begins to boil, add a dash of salt. Cover the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool.

While the chicken is cooking, begin to chop of the rest of the ingredients.

Slice the celery stalks lengthwise down the center so there are two halves. Lining up all the halves, slice the celery into bite size pieces.

Slice the grapes in half lengthwise


Dice the Onion and green onion and put the grapes and veggies into a large bowl.




 Once cooled, shred the chicken with either your fingers or two forks to desired consistency. I like my chicken to be pretty chunky so I don't shred it too much.


Add the chicken to the grapes and veggies and stir to combine.


Add in the Almond creme, mindful mayo, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt. Stir to completely combine and simply enjoy in your favorite fashion!



One idea is to serve with crackers for an appetizer at a get together!




now for the Almond Creme!

This stuff could be used in SO many ways. You can use it to make vegan ice cream, use it in smoothies, or use it as I did to thicken up a dip or salad.

Here are your super simple ingredients:


1 cup blanched almonds
1 cup purified water
1 T of your favorite sweetener (I used organic sugar)



Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and the mixture thickens. 
Yup that is it! Don't you love an easy recipe!! 

Thanks Y'all!
- Wise Wife 












No comments:

Post a Comment