Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Here we go!

Well hello there! Welcome inside the life of being a Wise Wife. I'm not sure where the blog will take me, but I know it will make me happy. I hope to share some yummy recipes with you, along with a few life lessons along the way.
April of this year I became a wife and was no longer a Conrad but a Wise. I know what you're thinking, oh.. now I get the blog title. :) I know its catchy; now I just have to keep you.

Here is the man that makes my heart sing

I'm a southern girl from Tennessee who has planted her roots in Alabama. I am a proud Mama of two 4-legged children. Gunner is our Chocolate Lab and Pace is our Black Lab.

We are proud to be Aunt and Uncle to so many children you wouldn't believe me if I told you. I will gladly claim the title of Wannabe Chef. Lets just say my husband hasn't complained about my food passion. Lucky for me, my Hubs is a foodie as well. He prefers manning the grill while I take care of the rest. I am dairy free and somewhat gluten free and some of my husband's favorite foods are cheese and pasta. As you can imagine, supper time can be quite a task. I have become quite talented at creating a dinner that we can both enjoy. I hope to share some new ideas for you to tryout in the kitchen.
I just choose gluten free pasta (he NEVER notices the difference) and I only put the cheese on his half

My husband should have been born Italian. In a classic Caprese salad, I make his with cheese and mine with Avocado. I love my camera, I'm an avid Nikon user but still learning to use it to its full potential. :) 

I will share a simple little supper I made recently...

Parchment Paper Fish with Crispy Green Beans


I have decided the easiest way to make yummy fish in the oven is to use parchment paper sacks. If you have never tried this method I suggest you do! In France they technically call this cooking method "en papillote." You are essential steaming the fish inside the parchment paper. 

Ingredients for the Fish:  

2 filets of white fish (I used Scamp but you could use grouper, snapper, whatever you prefer)
1/2 small onion sliced
1/4 cup basil (julienne the basil) 
2 Cloves chopped garlic
2 lemons
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 375°

Start by slicing your lemons in 1/4 in slices


Lay out a piece of Parchment paper on top of a baking sheet. Arrange the lemon slices from one lemon a few inches away from the end of the parchment paper. Lay the Fish directly on top of the lemons and salt and pepper the fish. Continue layering the onions garlic and basil on top of the fish. Finish the fish off with 1 T of the EVOO.


Now to create the sack. Fold the top half of the parchment paper all the way over to meet the opposite edge. Beginning on the left corner of the parchment paper, fold the bottom half over the top half. Continue this method all the way around to the other side, tucking the last edge under the sack. 


Here is your finished Sack. 

Repeat this process with the other filet of fish so you end up with two separate sacks.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fish)

Green Bean Ingredients:
3 Cups fresh green beans
1 shallot 
1/2 c bread crumbs (I used Panko for a little extra crunch, but to make it gluten free you could use gluten free regular bread crumbs)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil


Begin with washing and trimming the green beans


Dice your shallot

In a medium bowl, mix together the green beans, diced shallot, bread crumbs, S/P and Olive oil


Spread the mixture out on a parchment covered baking sheet (you can use tin foil if you prefer)

Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until crispy

That my friends is how you get a big smile from your hubs!


Okay thats enough information overload for a first blog post. Hope I have peaked your interest enough to come back again!! 

Thanks Y'all!
- Wise Wife 




1 comment:

  1. Emily! Love this! I love looking at your dishes on instagram-so excited to get some recipe from your blog, hope you and cole are doing well!

    ReplyDelete