Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Props to the Hub's Creativity!

Unfortunately, I can't take full credit for today's post. When my husband and I first started dating, we often cooked dinner together. He was all about easy meals that were delicious. He came up with a similar recipe to the one I am sharing below, only I have transformed it into a gluten free recipe. When he would cook these stuffed peppers, I often ate more of the filling than the actual bell pepper. Yes it's THAT good! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Couscous Stuffed Bell Peppers
Dairy Free, Gluten Free

Ingredients:

2 bell peppers (any color)
1 package gluten free garlic olive oil couscous
slightly less than 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs 
3/4 pound gluten free breakfast sausage

helpful hint: the stuffing recipe is enough for 3 peppers, I just only needed 2  

Add your breakfast sausage into a skillet and brown until no longer pink. Jimmy Dean regular sausage is gluten free!!!


Meanwhile, cook your couscous according the the package directions.

Now to prepare the bell peppers. Wash and dry your peppers. Carefully cut all the way around the stem.

Remove and discard the stem.

Remove any excess "white stuff" from the inside. I'm not sure what the technical term is for that but hopefully you know what I am talking about. Now you are left with a hollowed out bell pepper. 

Repeat this process with your other pepper. 

Now back to the stuffing. Add your browned sausage to your cooked couscous.

Add in your gluten free bread crumbs. 

Stir to combine.

Stuff your peppers with the couscous stuffing. Packing firmly as your go so that the couscous mixture is super tight.

I chose to grill my peppers. Cook them for about 10-12 minutes. (well I say I did, but in all actuality my husband did it) I am not allowed to touch his grill. If you prefer the oven, bake for 25-30 minutes at 375°.
Enjoy!!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment