Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dinner on the fly


My Mother-In-Law and I were out running errands around town today. One of our last stops was the farmers market to grab some pumpkins for my house. (I will be posting that later this week!) It hit me that I hadn't done a thing for dinner. I grabbed some tomatoes, corn, and an onion. On the way home we stopped at the grocery so on the fly I figured out what I could do with the ingredients I picked up at the farmers market. I knew I wanted something simple and pasta came to mind. At first thought I wanted bow tie, but I have never seen gluten free bow tie pasta. My sweet Mother-In-Law suggested orzo. Bingo! Orzo it is! This is what I came up with and my husband said it was DELICIOUS! I tend to agree. Oh yeah, and of course healthy and dairy and gluten free!! 

Here's your easy dinner!

Lime Vinaigrette Chicken Orzo 
Gluten Free, Dairy Free

Ingredients: 

12 oz uncooked  gluten free orzo 
2 T olive oil
1 sweet onion
2 cups corn kernels 
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro 
4 pieces prosciutto 
2 cups cooked white chicken meat
2 green onions (green part only)



Cook your orzo according to the package. Drain and set aside.

Dice your onion.

Chop your prosciutto.

Chop your tomatoes. My cherry tomatoes were HUGE so I quartered them. Regular sized tomatoes just slice in half. 

If using fresh corn on the cob, remove your kernels from the cob.

Chop your cilantro.


Heat olive oil over medium heat.

Add in your corn and onion.

Sauté until onions are slightly translucent. Add in your prosciutto and stir to combine.



Stir in your cooked chicken. I used rotisserie chicken breast. Just be sure to check ingredients or ask your grocery store to ensure it is gluten free. 


Add in your cooked orzo and cilantro.

Mix completely.

Add in your Vinaigrette (recipe below). Stir to combine.

Top with green onions just before serving. (If you eat dairy like my husband, you can add parmesan on top as well)


Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
4 T red wine vinegar
1 1/2 t salt
1 t fresh ground black pepper
1 t garlic powder
juice of one large lime

Add all ingredients in medium bowl. Whisk until combined.


Hope you enjoy your pasta!!
Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 


No comments:

Post a Comment