Monday, September 1, 2014

Healthier Blondie Brownie Bars

Happy Labor Day!!! I can't believe it is already September. Where has this year gone? It is still hot and muggy although Hubs swears fall is coming soon. I was perusing the internet the other day and I came across a dessert recipe where they had substituted chick peas in for the butter and flour. Hello!! Why haven't I thought of that? That is the easiest gluten free/dairy free substation there is! Of course I had to give it a try.

Why Garbanzo beans/chick peas? They are full of fiber, iron, and vitamins and are a great source for protein. Hubs said for "healthy brownies" they are good. Got to love his honesty. 

I guess this is my contribution to our "labor day" festivities (although Hubs and I have no plans). When I told Hubs we were having dessert, he got quite excited! I just don't bake that much as I feel you have to follow baking recipes much more closely and can't add in your personal touch. Not with this recipe!! This is a dump it all in and its fantastic brownie bar recipe. You could even had chopped pecans or coconut if you wanted to change it up a bit. Even non bakers can bake these suckers!

One thing I discovered quickly, it is best to line your baking dish with parchment paper before you add the batter. Doing this ensures the brownies won't get stuck to the pan and can be removed easily. Also, I used chunky almond butter because that is what I always have on hand. Feel free to substitute smooth if that is what lives in your pantry. 

Add a scoop of your favorite "ice cream" and these little fellas will just melt in your mouth without ruining your healthy eating habits. Hey, we have to satisfy that sweet tooth somehow! These take a while to cook, but trust me, it is worth the continual "are they ready yet" comments from the peanut gallery. Also, I find it is best to make these the day before. I like to let them cool on the rack, and then let them sit, covered, overnight before I cut them into squares. 

What do you say we whip up some brownies and impress your friends and family?


Healthier Blondie Brownie Bars
GF/DF

Ingredients:

1 can chickpeas
1/2 cup almond butter 
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 t pure vanilla extract
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t sea salt
1 cup DF/GF chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chips)

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Line a loaf pan or small baking dish with parchment paper.

Drain and rinse your chickpeas.

Add chickpeas into food processor or blender.

Add almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the food processor as well.

Process the batter until smooth. This shouldn't take longer than a minute.

Stir in about 3/4 cup of your chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the parchment lined baking dish.

Sprinkle the remaining chips on top.

Bake for about an hour. I know this seems like a long time, but trust me, it takes a while for these bad boys to set. You make think they are done, they probably aren't! Make sure a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the dish for about 10 minutes.

Grab the edges of the parchment paper and remove the blondies from your baking dish and place on a cooling rack.

Allow to cool for about 30 minutes. If you are making these the night before, cover and allow to sit overnight before moving on. Cut into squares and grab a fork!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise WIfe 

No comments:

Post a Comment