Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Chicken and Rice Bowls

Today was filled with running errands and getting things done! Lots of things were checked off the list but it seems dinner got pushed to the back burner. It didn't even cross my mind until I drug myself into the grocery late this afternoon. I knew I had brown rice at home (oops we ate that last night), and I knew I wanted to be lazy, so rotisserie chicken was quickly added to the my grocery list. 


I decided on chicken and rice bowls. They are so simple, full of flavor, and cooks in one dish! (well minus cooking the rice). If you wanted to make this recipe even more simple, you could use quick cooking rice. This recipe is healthy, delicious, and easy! 

If corn is in season, you are welcome to nix the canned and opt for fresh kernels cut off the ear. Hubs added a little sour cream and salsa on top of his bowl. 

When you are using canned black beans, always, I repeat, ALWAYS rinse them! Canned black beans can have lots of hidden sodium. I buy no salt added beans, but always rinse to remove any extra sodium that may be lingering. 


Chicken and Rice Bowls 
GF/DF

Ingredients:

about 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
1 cup uncooked rice (or 3-4 cups cooked rice)
1 1/2 T olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 can corn
1 can black beans
2 T soy sauce
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 t ground ginger
1 T agave nectar or honey
1/2 t dried cilantro 
avocado slices (optional topping)
salsa (optional topping)


What to do:

Lets start by cooking your rice according to package directions.

While your rice is cooking, dice your onion. 

Drain and rinse your corn and black beans.


Heat olive oil over medium heat.

Add in your onions and sauté until slightly translucent.



While your onions are cooking, whisk soy sauce, chicken broth, ground ginger, and cilantro together.  I like to do this step in a mixing cup to make it easier to pour out. 


Add your corn and black beans into the pan with the onions and stir together.


Pour in your soy sauce mixture and stir together. Scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan.

Allow to cook for about 10 minutes.

Add in your chicken and give it all a stir.


In a bowl, layer your cooked rice, then your chicken mixture, and then your toppings of choice!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment