Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tomato Spinach Pasta!

With it being a few days before Thanksgiving, I am trying to stay away from all of the non-healthy options I will indulge in on Thursday! I do not in any way deprive myself during Thanksgiving. Eating whatever I want one day will not ruin my life :) Yes I still eat all dairy free because I don't want to spend my evening sick, but I eat as much turkey, and all dairy free yummies that are available as I want and don't feel guilty about it at all! Neither should you!! 

I have added a link on the right side of my blog that will take you to a separate page where all of my recipes are, or will be soon, listed in a printable form. I know some people don't like to cook directly from a blog, so that is for you!! 

Chicken Tomato Spinach Pasta 

Ingredients:

1 8 oz box gluten free penne pasta
1 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken breast
1 small white onion
3 cloves garlic
3 small tomatoes
1 can quartered artichoke hearts 
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t dried basil
1/4 t red pepper flakes
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 cup tomato juice 
2 T tomato paste
5 oz dairy free, gluten free "cream cheese"
1/4 cup dairy free parmesan cheese
2 cups fresh spinach

What to do:

Cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

While your pasta is cooking start your sauce. Finely dice your onion, chop your tomatoes, and finely chop your garlic and drain your artichoke hearts.

I cheated on the garlic and used my amazing garlic chopper :) I am quite a sucker for gadgets!

Cut your chicken into bite size pieces.

In a large skillet, add your olive oil to a skillet over medium heat and toss in your chicken, sprinkling with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink.


Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside. In the same skillet, add in your onions and garlic and sauté until slightly translucent. About 3 minutes.



Add in your tomatoes, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir it all together. You can adjust the amount of red pepper flakes on your desired spice level. 

Add in your tomato paste, tomato juice, and a 1/2 cup cold water and lower your heat to medium low. Stir until your tomato paste is dissolved into the sauce.


Add in your cream cheese and whisk until it is melted, about 5 minutes.


Now add in your parmesan cheese and continue to whisk for an additional minute.


Add in your artichoke hearts and spinach and stir gently, allowing the spinach to wilt for a few minutes

Finally, add in your cooked pasta and chicken and stir to completely combine. 




Hope you love it!
-Wise Wife 


No comments:

Post a Comment