Friday, November 8, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Happy Friday!!! I am just going to pretend that it wasn't 75° yesterday. I thought it was finally going to stay cool, but apparently I was wrong. I knew I was going to dinner with a friend last night, so I wouldn't be home to cook supper for Hubs. What did I do? Hello slow cooker! I have I mentioned before how much I LOVE the slow cooker? You really can cook any and EVERY thing in the slow cooker. 

For the Hubs, I decided to make my chicken tortilla soup. If I don't fix him something, he often opts for a "man meal" consisting of a steak and baked potato (or twice baked potato if he is up to it). The soup is a MUCH healthier options for him and he loves it! Best of both worlds!

Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
gluten free, dairy free 


Ingredients:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (2-3 breast)
3-4 cups gluten free  chicken broth
1 can whole kernel sweet corn
1 can low sodium black beans
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel is gluten free)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium white onion
3 garlic cloves
2 T dice jalapeños (can adjust for spicy preference)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 t cayenne (can adjust for spicy preference)
1 t chili powder (can adjust for spicy preference)
gluten free corn tortillas
extra virgin olive oil
paprika for the tortillas

What to do:

Drain and rinse your corn and black beans.

Dice your Onion.

Cube your chicken into inch size pieces.

Mince your Garlic. I have this nifty tool that does it for me :) I just love food gadgets!

Add your corn, beans, Rotel, tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, garlic, and chicken into your slow cooker and stir to combine. 

Add in cumin, black pepper, salt, cayenne, chili powder and chicken broth and stir to combine.


Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

About 15 minutes before you are ready to serve your soup, slice several corn tortillas in 1/2 inch slices.

Using a brush, add a little extra virgin olive oil on a backing sheet.

Add your tortilla strips on your baking sheet. 

Sprinkle with a little paprika. Bake at 450° for about 10 minutes until crispy.

Serve your soup topped with your tortilla strips and if you choose, dairy free cheese!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 





No comments:

Post a Comment