Monday, November 25, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust!!!

This past weekend, we traveled to Oxford to see the last home Ole Miss football game of the season. It wasn't the best outcome, but we always have a good time when we go. It was FREEZING!! I had to wear long johns under my clothes, gloves, hat, hand warmers, and blankets! But we stuck it out for the sake of the Rebs but I guess we didn't cheer loud enough. :( 

After our long ride back, (thanks Mr. John for driving!!) the Hubs and I started talking about dinner. For some STRANGE reason I said pizza. That is usually the LAST thing I want. I guess I was thinking of my blog readers when I answered that one! So here is my version of pizza!! 

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
Crust ingredients:

1 head cauliflower
2 T olive oil
1/2 c gluten free corn meal
2 eggs
2 t italian seasoning
dash of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450°

Chop your cauliflower into medium size pieces. 

Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

Once the skillet is hot, add in your cauliflower and stir to coat with the hot oil. You should hear the oil sizzle when your cauliflower goes in.


Cover the skillet and allow to cook for 10- 12 minutes. Stirring frequently to prevent burning.

Once the cauliflower is slightly crisp and browned, remove from heat.

Next, add your cornmeal, eggs, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender. 

Add in your cauliflower and blend until your batter is pretty smooth and has thickened. About 4 - 5 minutes.


Place a pieces of parchment paper over a pizza pan or baking sheet. I chose a baking sheet.

Pour your batter over the parchment paper in the center of your pan. Using a spatula, spread out to about 1/4 an inch thickness. Make sure not to pour the batter all the way to the edge of the parchment paper.


Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes checking frequently. Make sure for crust is completely done all the way through. It is okay for the outer edges to get a little crispy. After all, I like my crust a little crunchy :)

While your crust is cooking, get your sauce and toppings ready! You can use store bought sauce but I prefer to make my own (recipe below)

Top your crust with pizza sauce and then follow with ANY ingredients of choice!! I used gluten free pepperoni (yup Hormel is gluten free!!), black olives, and dairy free mozzarella. If you don't' have a dairy allergy, by all means load on the real cheese. Thats what my husband does! 



Pop your pizza back in the oven for about 10-12 minutes to let your cheese melt! 

Now devour your deliciously healthy gluten free, dairy free pizza!!


helpful hint: if you are out of gluten free corn meal, you can always substitute by chopping tortilla chips in a food processor until fine. (just make sure they are gluten free chips) 


Pizza Sauce

Ingredients:


1 15 oz tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 T oregano
1 t garlic powder
1 t ground paprika 
salt to taste

Mix sauce and paste together in a medium bowl until smooth.

Add in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.




Happy Guiltless Eating!
Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 




No comments:

Post a Comment