Monday, November 4, 2013

Sunday Gumbo!

Every year our church, St. John's Episcopal Church, has a "bazaar." If you have never been to a church bazaar, it is an event where lots of things are donated and are sold. The profits are donated around the community to help local organizations that our church partners with. Our bazaar has rooms full of flowers, artwork, crafts, food items, and we also host a luncheon. This year I am involved with the food area of the bazaar, shocker right? To prepare for the big day in a few weeks, we have to make the food to be sold. Yes, some parishioners donate food as well, but a group gets together each year to create MASS amounts of gumbo and casseroles. Yesterday was the day we put aside to make the gumbo. This was my first year to participate in the gumbo making as I am just now finding my spot in our church. I kept saying, oh I will have to help somehow but never made the move. This year I put my foot down and made the commitment to help! 

We had a group of about 20 or 30 people who came together to help make the gumbo. There are only two guys who are "allowed" to make the roux and bring the gumbo together. After all, the roux can make or break the gumbo right? So the rest of us were choppers, peelers, ingredient measurers, etc. We made 12 HUGE batches of the gumbo and wait for it... we were there for 6 hours!! When I showed up I had NO idea it would take so long to make gumbo, but now I know :) 

I had an absolute BLAST hanging out with the people of our church. They welcomed me with open arms and I felt like I had a place within our church! I am so excited I made the commitment to help and I can't wait until the next cooking workshop! (I think sweet potato casserole is on the docket) Here are a few of the pictures from the event! 

Come see us at the bazaar on Nov 20th!!



Lots of okra, parsley, and green onions had to be chopped!!


A CRAZY amount of shrimp had to be peeled!


 



Here goes the roux!! 










 Packing up the completed gumbo! 




Don't forge to "burp" the lids! (removing all air before sealing)
How delicious does that look!!





Off to the freezer!


The part no one enjoys, cleaning up! 

I will be back tomorrow with MY take on gumbo :) 
Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 


No comments:

Post a Comment