Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Miniature Personal Pies!

One of our couple friends was so sweet and invited us and another couple over for dinner last night. They were taking care of the main dish, the other couple was making the salad, and I was put in charge of dessert. My immediate thought went to pecan pie! I only make my pecan pie during the fall because if not I would eat the ENTIRE thing every time. I absolutely LOVE pecan pie! But then I started thinking, oh gosh what if everyone doesn't love pecan pie like me?? So I thought what about chocolate fudge pie? I know what you are thinking, I thought all your recipes are dairy free. Well guess what.. My chocolate fudge pie IS dairy free! I could not get pecan pie out of my mind, so I ultimately decided to make mini pies because I figured between pecan pie and chocolate pie everyone will be happy. 




These recipes are actually my recipes for normal size pies, I just used smaller containers. So here we go! Beware.... these are both VERY additive and if you make for a party, you will definitely be asked to bring it again!


For this recipe, I use Namaste Pie Crust Mix. I LOVE this mix and it makes it SUPER easy. I actually use the recipe on the side of the bag and its perfect! If you prefer another gluten free pie crust, feel free to use your favorite! 

The pie crust recipe makes 2 pie crust or enough for 12 mini pies.

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Pie Crust

Ingredients:

2 1/3 cup Namaste Pie Crust Mix
1 egg
1/2 cup cold dairy free butter
5 T cold water 

Add the pie crust mix, egg, and butter together in a medium bowl. 


Using a hand mixer with dough hooks mix the ingredients. Add in your cold water one tablespoon at a time until the dough looks like this.

Lay out a piece of wax paper or parchment paper. Put half of the dough onto the paper. Place another piece of wax or parchment paper on top.

Using a roller, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick.



Using a large cookie cutter or large glass, cut circles of dough out. 


Place the circle in your container and press down. I used both ramekins and mason jars. 


Repeat the rolling process with the other half of the dough and fill with your favorite pie filling.

Pecan Filling
gluten free, dairy free

Ingredients:

1 Gluten free pie crust
1 c white sugar
3 T brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1 c light corn syrup
1/3 c melted butter
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 t vanilla extract
1 heaping c chopped pecans

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350°

Mix Sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla together in a large bowl.

Add a layer of chopped pecans in your unbaked pie lined dish.

Pour the syrup mixture over the top of the pecans. The pecans will begin to float to the top.

Place the miniature pie dishes on a cookie sheet. Bake the miniature pies for 25-35 minutes or until no longer jiggly. Allow to set for several hours or overnight.



helpful hint: If you are making a regular sized pie, cover the crust lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes. It should not be over "jiggly." If it is not completely done, cover the entire pie and cook for up to an additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool several hours or overnight.

Chocolate Fudge Filling
dairy free

Ingredients:

1 gluten free pie crust
8 T butter, melted
4 eggs
1/4 t salt
1 t vanilla extract
1 c sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350°

Add all ingredients into a large bowl.

Mix to completely combine.

Pour the chocolate mixture over your unbaked pie crust lined dish. I like to put all of the miniature dishes onto a cookie sheet to easily transfer to the oven.

Bake for 15 minutes. It may not look done but I promise it is! Let cool and serve. You can always top this delicious dessert with your favorite dairy free ice cream, or if you aren't dairy free, you can top with whipped cream! Thats what my hubs loves! 


Hope you enjoy your miniature pies for this perfect time of year!! I think some of my neighbors may be getting these for Christmas this year :) 

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment