Monday, May 12, 2014

Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Reduction

I know what you are thinking, balsamic reduction? How the heck could I possibly be able to make that.  I promise you, it is SO easy to make!!! If you can boil water, you can make this reduction! It takes less than 5 minutes to cook and adds amazing flavor to a simple watermelon salad. 

I also use fresh mint in my watermelon salad. I grow fresh mint in my yard because it is so simple to take care of! All you need is good soil and remember to water and your mint will grow like a weed.



If you don't have a yard, or a good spot to plant an herb garden, opt for an herb pot! I have my mint in a separate pot because it gets so large, but I have small amounts of several other herbs in combination pots. Perfect for just the two of us. 




My rosemary plant started in a pot but quickly outgrew it. When we moved, I planted it in the ground and it has been thriving every since.  I have had my aloe plant for over a year now and have transported it into a larger pot without trouble.  Aloe is another one of those SUPER easy things to grow and lets be honest, I frequently burn myself in the kitchen. An aloe plant is the perfect thing to have on hand for me! 



I have blue cheese listed as an ingredient in this recipe. I didn't get to enjoy due to my dairy allergy, but Hubs loved it. Your choice if you want to use it or leave it out. 


Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Reduction
Naturally GF

Ingredients:

4 cups fresh watermelon chunks
1/4 cup fresh mint
1/2 red onion
1 T capers 
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Crumbled Blue Cheese (optional)

What to do:

About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve your salad, start your balsamic reduction.

Add your balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan. 


Bring to a SLIGHT boil.

Let it boil for 3 1/2 minutes and the vinegar has reduced by half.

Remove from heat and allow to cool. It will begin to thicken a bit and voila, you have your reduction! 

While your reduction is cooling, chop your basil.

Chop your onion into small pieces. 

Add all of the ingredients (except the balsamic reduction) into a medium bowl.

Stir it all together. 

Drizzle the balsamic reduction over each serving.

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment