Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mild Shrimp Creole

Five years ago a special woman in my family put together a cookbook full of recipes from our family and close friends. Time after time I find myself reaching for this cookbook when I can't decide what  I want to cook. I even heard a rumor she was putting together a volume 2 and I hope I get to put a few of my recipes in there :) 



One of my favorite parts of the cookbook is something she wrote in the Introduction that is just so true. Some recipes will NEVER be as good as when Granny cooked it because she just had that "magical touch." I was with Hub's grandmother over the weekend and we talked about how I just don't think I will ever be able to cook her fudge. I am just not Mema.


Today's recipe is one I adapted from our family cookbook, "Yum Yum, I love it!" Thanks Sammy!!! 

Side note, I have buttery spread included in my ingredient picture, but I changed my mind and never used it :) You're welcome! I served our creole with corn bread, a recipe I will share with you tomorrow!
Shrimp Creole
naturally GF/DF


Ingredients:

about 1 pound shrimp 
5 strips GF bacon
1 green pepper
1 yellow onion
5 stalks celery
3 cloves garlic
1 can tomato sauce
1 soup can of water 
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
1 t fresh thyme
1 T fresh parsley
1 cup cooked brown rice

What to do:

If you are using fresh shrimp, peel and devein your shrimp. If you are using frozen, defrost your shrimp. Store in fridge until ready to use.

Chop your bacon into bite size pieces.

Dice your onion, celery, and bell pepper.


Dice your garlic and chop your parsley.


Heat a large, deep, skillet over medium heat. Add in your bacon, separating each piece.

Cook until about half way done.

Toss in your chopped onions, celery, and pepper. 
Stir it all together and cook until the onions are slightly translucent.


Pour in your tomato sauce and can of water.

Add in your garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper and stir it all together. 


Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for about 45 minutes.

When the sauce starts to simmer, start your rice. By the time the rice is done, your sauce will be as well. 

After the sauce has been cooking for about 15 minutes, add in your shrimp and allow to simmer for the remaining 30 minutes. The sauce will reduce and thicken a bit.


Serve over your brown rice. I ended up adding a dash of tobacco on my plate to add a little heat.


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife


No comments:

Post a Comment