Thursday, May 8, 2014

Grilled Cobia

First off, I am so sorry my posts were slim this week. Our internet was on the fritz! We are back up and running with even higher speeds.

I love throwing some fish on the grill for a light supper. It doesn't really matter what type of fish it is. I love salmon, grouper, snapper, and now I realize I love cobia! If you are in Montgomery, you MUST buy your fish from Destin Seafood Connection!!  They always have the freshest fish and seafood knowledge that you can always trust! They even make fresh to order poboys. However, I would suggest calling ahead. This is the only place I will buy seafood!

When I was at the fish market I was about to ask for the grouper as I often do. The market owner overheard me and mentioned that he had just cut the cobia. I honestly have never had cobia and wasn't sure what type of fish it was. When I told him my favorite fish was amberjack he convinced me I would love cobia even more. He even explained to me how the fish are caught! It is a meatier fish that holds together well on the grill. That is all he had to say! I was sold.

He went even farther, and offered up a recipe for tossing the fish on the grill. He suggested to marinate the fish in italian dressing for "a little while" in the fridge. Then, just sprinkle a little Cavender's Greek Seasoning on the fish and grill between 300-400 until it is done. So I grabbed my fish and headed home to create a recipe from what he suggested. I stopped at the grocery and grabbed my favorite Italian that is GF and contains no high fructose corn syrup and headed home.

 If you want, just grab the seasoning he suggested, but I created my own greek seasoning due to the high sodium content that is usually present in pre-mixed spices.


Happy Grilling! Printable Recipe Here!!

Grilled Cobia
Naturally GF/DF

Ingredients:

2 cobia filet
2/3 cup prepared Italian dressing
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t thyme
1/4 t basil
1/4 t marjoram 
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 t onion powder
 pinch of salt
1 1/2 T olive oil

What to do:

First we need to get the fish marinated in that Italian Dressing. Add your fish to a small baking dish (or ziplock bag if you don't want to dirty up another dish).

Pour the Italian dressing over the top of the fish.

Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I let it marinate for about an hour.

While your fish is marinating, add the remaining ingredients together into a small bowl.

Mix the spices all together. Voila, you have just made your own greek seasoning!

Remove you fish about 15 minutes before you grill so it isn't super cold. Sprinkle the greek seasoning over both sides of your fish. I like to reserve a little of the spices to use after the fish comes off the grill. Somehow I forgot to take this pic. SO SORRY!!

Grill your fish at 350° for about 10 minutes, flipping once.


Once the fish turns white, it is ready to remove from the grill. As I mentioned before, sprinkle the remaining greek seasoning over the top of the fish.

Enjoy!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

9 comments:

  1. Oooh Cobia! Just from the looks of it in the pictures, it's already making my mouth water and my stomach rumble! I'm pretty sure this recipe of yours would be super delish. Kudos to you for the great pics too! Thanks for the share!

    Debbie Zuniga @ Checkers Burgers

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! It makes me want to cook some right now! Haha! Anyway, we have the same opinion about using traditional Greek seasoning. The use of real herbs and spices give a strong and even more authentic flavor to certain dishes than using artificial ones. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter!

    Chris Carpenter @ Domenico’s Monterey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad there are others out there that prefer to make their own. It definitely makes a difference!

      Delete
  3. Caught some cobia last spring and vacuum froze, now defrosting, still looks grea and am going to give this a try. Anyway you cook cobia, it is DELISH!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was everything that you said & came out just like the photos. Perfect!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love You Emily I catch cobia alot And I cook very Well But wanted To try a different taste from my garlic, butter,salt and lemon basted fish. at first the Italian dressing kinda had me spectacle because I've always use that to make cheap meat good but I'm very surprised on how excellent your recipe has turned out I wish my girlfriend could cook see if your boyfriend wants to trade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that there is olive oil in the ingredients but I dont see where it is used. What is it used for...thanks

      Delete
    2. it was used on the grill so the fish wouldn't stick.

      Delete