Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Healthy Cinco De Mayo

I realize now, I should have shared this prior to today. Oops! Who says you can't have mexican food the day after cinch de mayo? I was on Pinterest, surprise, surprise, and came across a recipe for oven fajitas. That is SUCH a brilliant idea. Baking is a healthier way to cook and I love this idea! I tweaked it a bit and turned it into a fajita salad. I didn't make hubs eat a salad though. He did the traditional fajita in a tortilla and he loved it. 

I took the easy way out on the rice because I was lazy and it was SUPER convenient. I used zattaran's spanish rice that is gluten free.

You simply add a can of chopped tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Take it down to a simmer and allow the water to absorb. Easy right? Yup! 

I added a SUPER simple black bean and corn salsa for a little appetizer. I served it with GF chips and enjoyed every bite. 

I so meant to top my salad with avocado slices and I completely forgot! I was so bummed when I got up to do the dishes and saw the avocado sitting on the counter. Anyway, Happy Eating! 


Black Bean Corn Salsa
Naturally GF/DF


Ingredients:

1 can low sodium black beans
2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
1 cup fresh cilantro 
1 small red onion
1 red bell pepper
juice of 1 lime
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 t cumin
2 t Tabasco
1/2 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground pepper

What to do:

Drain and rinse your black beans to remove as much sodium as possible.

Rinse and roughly chop your cilantro.


Dice your onion.

Remove the stem and seeds from your pepper and then slice in strips.

Line up your strips and dice your pepper.


Roll your your lime on the counter before cutting open to juice. This will help release the juices.


Add all ingredients into a large bowl.

Stir everything together.

Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge for at least an hour so the flavors can marry tougher. You can allow the salsa to sit overnight if you are making ahead. It will store in the fridge for about a week.

Serve with your favorite GF chips!


Fajita Chicken Salad
Naturally GF/DF


printable recipe here! 

Ingredients:

1 bound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 red onion
1 bell pepper, I chose orange
2 t chili powder
2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t salt
4 T canola oil, divided
1 1/2, 10 oz cans rotel
Shredded iceberg lettuce (store bought or shredded by hand)

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 400°.

Remove the stem and seeds from your bell pepper and cut into strips lengthwise.


Slice your red onion into rings.


Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and salt int a small bowl and stir to combine.


Add in 2 T canola oil and stir together.

Remove an excess fat from your chicken and cut into strips widthwise.


Add the remaining 2 T canola oil into a large baking dish and coat the bottom.

Add your chicken into the dish.

Pour your spice oil mixture over your chicken.


Add in your peppers, onions, and Rotel.

Stir everything together.

Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.



While your chicken is cooking, cook your rice according to package directions.

Start to build your salad with a bed of shredded iceberg.

Next add a layer of rice.

Top with your chicken onion mixture and if you want, the avocado.

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment