Wednesday, October 22, 2014

White Bean Couscous

Today I have for your a healthy couscous recipe that I absolutely love. It is a great main dish option, although you can always add in meat of your choice. If you are gluten free, simply substitute quinoa of the couscous. It is just as delicious!

I love that this recipe has some hidden spinach in it. Perfect for those kiddos that "don't like spinach" but you know they need the nutrition.

This recipe makes a rather large bulk of food. However, I love it because it is perfect for leftovers or to enjoy with friends.  I only added cheese on at the end because I know my Hubs. His meal just has to have cheese on it. Yes, we are opposites when it comes to that aspect. But hey, they say opposites attract right?

I ended up adding my simple baked shrimp on top. I promise I will show you the recipe for my shrimp tomorrow! It is so easy and healthy!


Printable Recipe Here!

White Bean Couscous
DF

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked couscous or quinoa
1 large yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 28 oz can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
1 15 oz can cannelini white beans
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 package fresh spinach
1 T dried basil
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/2 t salt
pinch of black pepper
parmesan cheese (optional)

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 425°.

Dice your onion.

Mince your garlic.

Drain and rinse your white beans.

Drain your roasted tomatoes, but reserve the juices. Simply drain over a large measuring glass.

Heat olive oil over medium heat.

Add in your chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.

Add in your garlic and sauté for another 3 minutes. Your onions should be slightly translucent.


Now add in your forest roasted tomatoes (not the juice) and white beans.

Stir it all together and allow to cook for 4 minutes.

Turn down the heat, and add in your spinach. Stirring, allow to cook until wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.



In a separate, large bowl, add cooked couscous, tomato juice, basil, pine nuts, salt, and pepper.

Mix well together.

Now add your tomato bean mixture into the couscous mixture and mix to combine.


Transfer the mixture to a large baking dish. If you are adding cheese, do so at this point. I opted to put cheese on half so both Hubs and I could be happy.


Bake for about 20 minutes, or until mixture is heated through and cheese is melted.

Thanks y'all!
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment