Thursday, October 2, 2014

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

I am going to introduce you to what quite possibly is my favorite kitchen gadget. My slow cooker! I have ALWAYS had one and use it all the time. However, a while ago ours broke and I have been slow to replace it. Hubs asked for a pot roast, again, so I finally headed to the store and bought a new one. I ended up at Williams Sonoma where I found one I could not live without.

What is so amazing about this slow cooker, is the insert is made out of nonstick aluminum and can be placed right on top of your stove top! I mean HELLO! Why didn't I think if this? Every time I make a roast, or any meat in the slow cooker for that matter, I sear the outside of the meat to lock in the moisture. Placing the cooking pot right on the stove top makes this process that much easier and one less dish to clean! You can check out this slow cooker on Williams Sonoma


Now don't worry if you don't have one of these new nifty slow cookers, any kind will do. You will just have to sear the meat in a separate skillet and transfer it to the slow cooker after you deglaze your pan with the beef broth.

I usually add a white onion in my pot roast that I quarter before I pop into the dish. However, I thought I did not make it home from the grocery with it so I just skipped it. A few hours into cooking the roast, and I located said onion in the back seat of my car. Oops! If you have an onion, toss it in!

I do add a little different ingredient to my roast. Okra!! I was at the farmer's market the other day and they still had some so I just had to grab it. Hubs attempted to fry it up with dinner the other night, but I made him wait for the roast! If okra isn't in season you can always substitute frozen chopped okra as long as it is not precooked. 

Lets get to cooking! PS veggie ingredients are estimates and can be adjusted to your liking :)

Printable Recipe Here!

Slow Cooker Pot Roast
GF/DF

Ingredients:

about 2 1/2 pound roast (I used a shoulder, adjust size of roast for number feeding)
about 2 cups fresh okra
4 cups red new potatoes
2 cups baby carrots
4-5 celery stalks (green parts only)
4 cups low sodium beef broth
1 1/2 T balsamic vinegar
4 cloves fresh garlic
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
1 t dried thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper

What to do:

First things first, we have to get our veggies ready. Rinse your potatoes, okra, and celery.


Remove Rosemary from stem.


Chop your celery, okra, rosemary, and mince your garlic.



Sprinkle one side of your roast generously with salt and pepper and set aside.

Add olive oil into your slow cooker insert (if you have a stovetop proof one) or large non stick skillet. Heat over high heat until screaming hot.


Place your roast, seasoned side down, into the hot skillet.

Let sear until nice and brown. While searing, sprinkle the top side with salt and pepper.

Flip the roast, allowing all sides to sear and lock in the moisture.



Pour your beef on top of your roast. If you are using a skillet, only add about 1 1/2 cups of the beef broth.

Transfer your insert to the slow cooker base, or move your roast and beef broth into your slow cooker insert. If you used a skillet, add in the remaining beef broth now.

Add in balsamic.

Now add in your potatoes, carrots, celery, and okra.

Now add in your rosemary, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf.

I like to use my tongs to sort of mix all the goods together.

Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours. It may take longer depending on the size of your roast. Now you just have to sit back and let the slow cooker do its work. By the time your roast is done, the meat should be falling apart.



Remove the bay leaf and serve your roast over rice.



Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment