Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pineapple Chicken Salad

I saw a chicken salad recipe recently that included pineapple on the ingredient list. I thought this was a fabulous idea. A great way to add a little fruit into a delicious meal or snack. I knew that I had to create a recipe of my own. 


I tend to shy away from chicken salad that has more mayonnaise than chicken. There can be lots of hidden calories in chicken salad that you have to watch out for, Because of this, I like to make my own. 

I wanted to use crushed pineapple for this recipe, but of course they were out at the grocery. I just bought a can of pineapple chunks in 100% juice  and pulsed it in the food processor a few times to get that crushed texture. I then drained the juice and on I went with lunch. 

I used rotisserie chicken breasts for my cooked chicken. As I have mentioned before, this is a huge time saver. Just be sure to ask your grocer for ingredients to double check they are gluten free. 

I use Vegenaise in place of mayo in this recipe because it is free of pretty much every allergy. However, most mayonnaise is gluten free but packs on unwanted calories. If you prefer, substitute olive oil mayonnaise or your favorite type of mayonnaise spread. 

Y'all, this recipe is so good! I am so excited to have a bowl full in my fridge for future lunches/snacks. Hope you're hungry!


Pineapple Chicken Salad
GF/DF

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken (I used all white meat)
1, 8 oz can crushed pineapple in 100% juice, drained
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cups baby carrots
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup Vegenaise, or other mayo substitute 
1 T Worcestershire sauce 
1/4 t celery salt
1/4 t black pepper

What to do:

Chop your carrots.

Add chicken, green onions, almond, pineapple, and carrots into a large bowl. 

Stir all those goodies together.

Add in Vegenaise.

Stir it together so that the mayo is evenly distributed.

Finally, sprinkle in your celery salt and black pepper.

Stir it one more time and you are done!

Serve your chicken salad with your favorite cracker or wrapped up in a tortilla.

Store in the fridge for about a week. (if it lasts that long)

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment