Wednesday, January 8, 2014

GF, DF She Crab Soup with Focaccia Bread


Okay it is still FREEZING outside. I just can't stand it. I  tried to go run some errands and get some stuff done but it was just too darn cold. I made a quick stop at the grocery, oh and Destin Seafood Connection, and headed home. I will spend the day inside today, trying to get my house together. I am working on giving my things a permeant home somewhere within the new house. I absolutely love to organize so getting to do a whole house is a wonderful thought to me! Yes it will take some time because I tend to be super obsessive about organization, but it will all be worth it in the end. 

Okay so what did I make for supper? Lately we have been eating lots of red meat so I knew I needed to give our hearts and bodies a break from all the cholesterol. Seafood it is! Because of the bitter cold temperatures outside, I definitely wanted soup! Combine these two and She Crab Soup is what I ended up with. I have made it before for others that was full of dairy (I didn't get to enjoy it), but I have never attempted a dairy free, gluten free version. It actually turned out pretty well!! 

I knew I wanted something to dunk in the soup, so I attempted for the first time GF bread!!! It was actually SO good. I went for a Foccasia bread recipe that I found in a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas! Gluten Free Bible is a great starting point if you are attempting to go gluten free!  I did tweak the recipe just a little. :) 

In my ingredient picture I have two cans of Coco Lopez  cream of coconut, but I feel like it made it a bit too sweet. Next time, I will stick to just one so that is how I have written the recipe. Enjoy!!


She Crab Soup
GF, DF



Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter substitute
1/2 white onion
4-5 stalks celery, (1/2 cup finely chopped) 
1/4 cup GF all purpose flour
1/4 t paprika
4 cups DF, GF Milk, I used rice milk 
1 8 oz can cream of coconut 
1 1/2 t salt
1 t grated lemon rind 
1 t worcestershire sauce
pinch of ground red pepper
1 lb lump crab meat
1/4 c dry sherry 
chopped parsley for topping 

What to do:

Chop your onion, celery, and shallot.



Melt butter over medium heat in a dutch oven.

Toss in onions, celery, and shallots. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. 

Add in flour and paprika and cook for an additional minute.

Gradually stir in your milk and coconut cream.

Stir until smooth.

Add in salt, lemon rind, worcestershire and red pepper and stir. Bring to a simmer and then reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Don't boil!

While your soup is simmering, pick through your crab and pick out any shells.

Stir in your crab and sherry and simmer for another 20 minutes.



Top with parsley and grab a spoon!!


Focaccia bread
DF, GF


Ingredients:
1 1/2 GF bread flour, I used Red Mill Bread Mix
1 1/2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 T chopped basil 
1 t xanthan gum
1 t salt
1 cup warm water
2 egg whites
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 T agave nectar
1 t cider vinegar

What to do:

Chop your basil.

Mix your GF bread flour, yeast, basil, xanthan gum and salt in a large bowl and set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together water, egg whites, oil, honey and vinegar in a medium bowl. 

Using a hand mixer, gradually beat your egg mixture into the flour mixture at low speed for 2 minutes and then increase to medium-high for an additional 5 minutes.

Dough should be thick and a bit sticky. 

Preheat your oven to 450°.

Transfer your dough on to a parchment lined baking sheet. Wet your fingertips and form the dough into about an 8-inch round. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.

helpful hint: you can always add some tomatoes and cheese or olives to your bread at this point. Just make sure you pinch the dough with your fingers and lightly press your toppings into the bread.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the dough begins to brown slightly. 

Serve alongside your soup! 

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment