Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fiesta Skillet Casserole

Guess what!!! It SNOWED/ICED yesterday!!!!! Woohoo right? Well, it wasn't much to play in but it definitely shut the city down. They even closed all city and county roads! Gota love a winter storm in the South. Hey, it allowed my Hubs to come home early and the pups enjoyed it!



I usually frequent the grocery store a few times a week, but with the storm begin predicted, I went ahead and gathered our groceries for the week. I realized, I spent MUCH less money when I buy groceries for the week. I think I may keep this trend going. So what is the perfect meal for a snow storm night? How about a Fiesta Skillet Casserole? Think about everything you would want in a taco, and I have made it into a skillet casserole. It was delicious! So here is how I made our supper.

Fiesta Skillet Casserole
GF, DF


Ingredients:

1 cup white rice
2 2/3 cups water, divided
1 pound ground meat, I used lean ground beef
1 t oregano
1/2 t crushed red pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t chili powder 
1 1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 T fresh cilantro
1 large tomato 
1 cup pure tomato sauce
2 cups GF corn chips, I used "Fritos"
about 1/2 cups DF, GF "cheddar" cheese 
Optional: approximately 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
DF, GF sour cream
GF salsa

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a medium bowl, mix together oregano, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.

Lets start move on to the rice. Bring 2 cups water to boil. Add in rice and lower heat to low. Allow to cook until all the water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. 


While the rice is cooking, add ground meat into oven proof skillet. Brown until no longer pink.


Add in seasoning mixture and 2/3 cup water and let simmer for 10 minutes.


Dice your tomato.

Add in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes until it begins to darken and the tomatoes soften. 


Add corn chip in a mini food processor and process for about 30 seconds. If you don't have a food processor you can always put them in a plastic bag and crush them with your hands.


Roughly chop your cilantro. 

Once your meat is ready, remove from heat. Add a layer of rice directly on top of the meat tomato mixture.



Next, drain and rinse your black beans. Add a layer black beans on top of your rice layer.



Next goes your chopped cilantro and then your crushed corn chips.



Finally add on a layer of DF, GF cheese. I was a nice wife and used real mexican cheese on 1/2 for my Hubs. Yup BROWNIE POINTS!! :)


Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Remove from the oven and add a layer of lettuce (optional but I love another added crunch)

Now its time to eat! The easiest way to serve is to cut a slice as you would a pie. It doesn't stay completely together but it made it to the plate.



I like to top mine with a little DF, GF sour cream and salsa.


Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 



No comments:

Post a Comment