Monday, December 16, 2013

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

Although we were promised we would be in our new house by Thanksgiving, it is now almost Christmas and it doesn't appear we will be in the new house this week. Im so bummed, but at least I will still spend the best time of the year with my Hubs.  Because we were anticipating a move, we didn't decorate around the house. Okay, I did put a few things on the front porch, but I just couldn't stand not having any decorations up. Yesterday after church, the Hubs told me I could decorate. If you know the Hubs, for him to bring up decorating is HUGE. He isn't much for decorating for holidays. (They say opposites attract!) 

Anyway, so as I was trimming the tree, I decided I was wanting something sweet. What's something sweet that I could make and ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand? Sugar cookies! I realized I have yet to share a simple sugar cookie recipe with y'all. As soon as I mentioned cookies, Hubs had a huge smile on his face. Off to the kitchen I went. A delicious sugar cookie was the perfect way to take a break from decorating my tree!

These cookies are so delicious, after eating a cooking, the hubs said, "Wait were those gluten free dairy free?, they were actually good!" Love when he can't tell the difference!

Emily's Cracked Sugar Cookies
gluten free, dairy free


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter substitute
3 egg yolks
2 t almond extract (you could use vanilla)
2 1/2 cup gluten free flour 
3/4 t xanthan gum 
1 t baking soda
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup additional sugar



What to do:

Preheat your oven to 350°

Add your butter and 1 1/4 cup sugar into a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.

Using a hand mixer, or your stand mixer, mix together until creamy.



Continue to mix, adding one yolk at a time.

Mix in your almond extract.

Add your flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.

Mix until completely combined. Always be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure all your ingredients are evenly mixed. 




Pour your additional 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl.

Grab a medium scoop and create a dough ball.


Roll the top of your dough ball in your bowl of sugar so that the top has a nice layer. 



Place your dough balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart. 

Bake for 12-16 minutes or until they start to crack on top. Do not over cook! You want them to stay soft and chewy. 



Remove and let sit for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack and then dig in! 




Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife



No comments:

Post a Comment