Monday, July 21, 2014

Lettuce Wrap Lunch

During the week, I am often searching for healthy lunch options that I can make at home to avoid eating out every day. I have a true love for hummus, so I always have it in the fridge. I am not a real fan of mayonnaise (actually I despise it), so I thought, why couldn't I replace mayo with hummus? Whether  it is homemade or store bought, hummus is a healthier option to give your sandwich (or wrap in this case) a kick. 

What is great about these wraps, you can throw on anything you have in your fridge: Bell peppers, onions, olives, pickles.  I kept mine simple today but feel free to put your own spin on those super easy lettuce wraps!

I used store bought organic hummus because it was on hand and is delicious. Pita Pal is my favorite brand!! You can read about it here!


helpful hint: to easily remove large pieces of iceberg lettuce, simply cut the stem off and remove one layer at a time.


Hummus Lettuce Wraps
naturally GF/DF 

Ingredients:

Iceberg lettuce 
1 ripe tomato
1 small cucumber
2 T hummus
1/4 cup sliced turkey 

What to do:

First things first, lets get your veggies ready. Wash and slice your cucumber into about 1/4 inch thick pieces.

Remove the core from your tomato and cut into bite sized pieces. 



Grap an iceberg lettuce leaf from the head. Lay out on a plate and cover with a layer of hummus.


Next, add a layer of turkey.

Follow it up with your cucumber, tomato and whatever else you enjoy on your sandwiches. 


Plate an additional lettuce leaf on top of your fixings.

Fold in the sides (like you would a burrito) and roll up the lettuce wrap so that your fixings will stay put inside. If things are falling apart, grab toothpicks and stick one on each end.


Cut your wrap in half and enjoy!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment