Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Healthy Chicken and Rice Casserole

Every Monday I set out to get "caught up" up on my errands and my long To-Do List. Why is it that I NEVER get through the whole thing? It's like they say, there are never enough hours in the day.  So when it came time to head to the grocery, I was looking for a quick and easy one dish dinner to start our week. My mind went to my chicken and rice "casserole." I put casserole in quotes because when people see that word, they immediately think comfort food, creamy, and unhealthy. I promise you, this recipe is a healthy one!

I had a sweet face watching my closely, hoping I dropped a crumb or two.

It isn't quite a one dish dinner, but its pretty close. I took several steps to save time and energy in this recipe. I use cooked chicken, insert rotisserie chicken here! If you don't use fresh rotisserie chicken from your grocery, you are so missing out. Check with your grocery, but mine proved their chicken is gluten free! To help cut down on calories and fat, don't use the skin of the chicken and only use the white breast meat. Like my mother-in-law always says, "What did we do before rotisserie chickens?" She is so right, it makes my life SO much more convenient. 

I also used quick cooking brown rice. It is just as healthy and cooks in 10 minutes! If you have regular brown rice on hand and have the time, feel free to wait the 45 minutes for it to cook. :) 

Side note, I thought I would need two jars of the marinara so thats why it is in my ingredient picture. I changed my mind half way through. Sorry for the confusion! 


Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
naturally GF/DF

Ingredients:

2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked chicken 
15 oz store bought marinara (or homemade if your fancy)
1 head fresh broccoli 
1 medium yellow onion
1 1/2 T olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
1 8oz can diced water chestnuts 
1 bag quick cooking brown rice (or 2 cups cooked brown rice)


What to do:

Start by dicing your onion. 

Wash your broccoli well and remove the crowns from your head.


Run a knife through the broccoli crowns a few times to roughly chop.

Cook your brown rice according to package directions. 

Heat your olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.

Add in your diced onion and chopped broccoli.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and give it a good stir. 

Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onions are slightly translucent and the broccoli begins to soften but it still bright green.

Drain your water chestnuts. 

Preheat your oven to 350°.

Add veggies, chicken, cooked rice, and water chestnuts into a large bowl.

Stir everything together.

Add in your marinara and stir. 


Transfer the mixture to a small casserole dish.

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the mixture is heated through. 



That's it! Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment