Monday, January 19, 2015

Sweet Potato Soup

I have a stuffy nose and cough that I just can't seem to shake, so of course I have been eating lots of soup. I was tired of the chicken noodle, tomato soups that are the go to's when you don't feel well. I absolutely love sweet potatoes so I decided to whip up some of my sweet potato soup. 

It was an easy decision because it is simple and makes enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. I love when I don't have to think about what lunch will be. I often just grab things around the house to put together a "meal."I eat a lot of fruit and hummus.

If you can enjoy dairy, you can substitute the coconut milk for whipping cream and it will make the soup a little creamier.

Sweet Potato Soup
naturally GF/DF

Ingredients:

2 1/2 - 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium to large potatoes)
1 can white cannellini beans
3 cloves garlic
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (1, 32 oz box)
1/2 cup coconut milk
juice of 1 lemon
1 t salt
1/4 t cayenne (you can adjust as you wish)
1/4 t garlic salt

What to do:

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.

While you are waiting for your water to boil, thoroughly wash, peel, and cube your potatoes.




Add your potatoes into the boiling water and allow to cook for 12-15 minutes or until they are fork tender. 



Drain and rinse your white beans.

Mince your garlic.

Once your potatoes are tender, drain and add into blender or food processor. I opted for the blender but either will work. 



Add 2 cups vegetable broth, beans, and garlic into the blender.

Process until smooth.


Add the sweet potato mixture back into the large pot you boiled your potatoes in. 

Shake the can of coconut milk well.  Add in the remaining 2 cups broth and coconut milk. 

Over medium low heat, stir and bring the mixture to a simmer. 


Add in the lemon juice, salt, cayenne, and garlic salt.


Allow the mixture to summer for about 5 minutes so all the flavors come together a bit. 


Top with toasted almond slivers and dig in!

Thanks Y'all!
-Wise Wife  

No comments:

Post a Comment