Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Turkey Stuffed Onions

So I am not really sure how I came up with this idea. I knew I wanted to make something with ground turkey but I didn't just want to make burgers. Somehow onions popped into my head. I often stuff bell peppers and I love it! What is it about stuffing something? It makes it that much more fun/delicious to eat. So why can't we stuff an onion? I love onions so I went for it.

I made a simple marinara sauce to go with the meatball like mixture. If you don't want to make your own, grab your favorite brand from the grocery store. 

I did have a little bit of the stuffing left over so I made a few meatballs and popped them in the oven to have for lunch the next day. Or, you could really use the stuffing to stuff another onion and serve another friend. 

Lets stuff some onions! Printable Recipe Here!

Turkey Stuffed Onions
GF/DF

Ingredients:

1 1/4 pound extra lean ground turkey
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1 egg
1 t extra virgin olive oil
1/4 t salt and pepper
2 cloves fresh garlic
2-3 Large white onions

Sauce Ingredients:

2 cans tomato sauce
1 t dried basil
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 red pepper flakes (amount can be adjusted for spiciness)
1/4 t salt

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 400°.

Start with preparing your onions. Cut both the bottom and top off of your onions.


Remove the outer skins.

Using a paring knife, carefully slice around the edge, leaving 1-2 layers on the outside. 



Using a spoon, scoop out the center of the onion, reserving the insides of one of your onions.



Set your hollowed out onions aside.

Chop up the scoped out onions. You want about 1/3 cup chopped onions.

Chop your parsley.

Mince your garlic.

Add turkey, parsley, egg, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. 

Stir together.

Add in your reserved chopped onions and stir again.


Stuff your hollowed out onions with your turkey mixture.

Place onions in a small baking dish.

Bake for 50-60 minutes.

About 35 minutes into the cooking process, its time to make your sauce. Add sauce, dried basil, red pepper, and salt into a large skillet.

Stir it all together.

Heat over medium heat until the mixture reaches a low simmer. 

Stirring periodically, allow the mixture to thicken for about 20 minutes. Yup, that's it! You have your mariana sauce.

Once your onions are done, top with your marinara sauce and enjoy!


Thanks Y'all!
Wise Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment